PDA

View Full Version : Light and fans on, but no cooling

Kyle
14-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Here's hoping someone can help. My domestic refrigerator has been intermittantly cooling for six months. Now it has stopped cooling completely. I can hear the relay trying to kick-start the compressor, but it never starts. From reading some of the postings in this group, I think it could be that the compressor is shot (goodbye fridge, goodbye $1000 Can.), or that the thermostat has failed. Is this an accurate analysis, based on the symptoms? How do you remove and check the thermostat? My background is electronics, so I am aware of potentially lethal voltages.
Thanks,
Kyle

Gary
14-03-2003, 06:31 PM
The thermostat tells the compressor to start. Since you can hear it trying to start, the thermostat is doing it's job.

You should try cleaning the condenser. Thats the coil that rejects the heat when it is running, probably underneath near the compressor or behind the refrigerator. There is probably also a fan under there that should be running.

Beyond this, there can be several causes for a compressor not starting besides the compressor itself. These are things that are probably best left to the professionals.

frank
14-03-2003, 08:58 PM
could be that the start capacitor is shot

Frank

Kyle
14-03-2003, 09:41 PM
In Gary's response to my query, he says that there can be several reasons why the compressor won't come on. What are some of these reasons? I really want to troubleshoot this fault before I pay somebody to come to my house just to tell me to buy a new fridge.
Thanx,
Kyle

Abe
15-03-2003, 07:58 AM
Kyle

Your compressor is " clicking" as it attempts to start. Ok, do this. Switch the fridge off at the mains for a good few hours, about 6 hours. This will allow the compressor to cool down completely.

Switch the fridge back on, if the compressor tries to start, but wont, ie: clicking noise, then its your compressor that is faulty.

If the compressor starts, and runs continuosly, then I suggest you have your condenser coil cleared of dust, debris.

Let me know what happens after you switch it back on again

Kyle
18-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks, Aiyub. I tried your suggestion, I left the fridge unplugged for 24 hours and then re-powered it. No luck. At that point , I gave up and bought a re-conditioned unit from a licenced refrigeration person in my area, and I'm very happy with the relatively new unit.
Thanks again,
Kyle