PDA

View Full Version : Danfoss pre 1994 Compressor Fault Recall - UK

Brian_UK
02-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Read in my daily paper on Wednesday about a possible fault with the compressor starting device and a potential fire hazard.

Text from Notice here --

Caution
Possible risk of fire in old refrigerators and freezers bought in 1994 or before.

If your refrigerator or freezer was bought in 1994 or before, you should check to see if it is fitted with a Danfoss compressor.

Recent tests suggest that the gradual decay of a plastic material on the starting device of Danfoss compressors from this period can under extreme circumstances cause a potential risk of fire. The starter produced after 1994 in modern compressors does - and will not in the future - carry this risk.

If you find a Danfoss compressor manufactured ro dating back to 1994 or before you should take the following action to eliminate a potential risk of fire.

- contact Danfoss to order the free spare part.
- seek qualified assistance from a service technician to have it fitted.

You can find more information and order the free spare part you need at:

Web: www.danfoss.co.uk/compressorinfo (http://www.danfoss.co.uk/compressorinfo)

Danfoss hot line (free phone): 0808 238 1499
(weekdays 9am - 9pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am - 5pm)

edit: Please note that the full text of this notice is shown via the above Danfoss website link.

old gas bottle
02-12-2007, 02:47 PM
changed dozens of them when we did domestics,along with most engineers,its a bit late now most of them are on the tip !, to look at there balack in colour,numbers on them are 0001 i think [TL2 -FR11] and on commercail cabinets too 0002 on comps upto SC18 as i remember,replacement relays were allways white in colour, allways seemed to happen when the cabinets were switched off for a defrost or being moved,turn back on and big flash bang,dose of smoke and a rotton smell, whoopee,another quick chargable job.:D

taz24
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
changed dozens of them when we did domestics,along with most engineers,its a bit late now most of them are on the tip !, to look at there balack in colour,numbers on them are 0001 i think [TL2 -FR11] and on commercail cabinets too 0002 on comps upto SC18 as i remember,replacement relays were allways white in colour, allways seemed to happen when the cabinets were switched off for a defrost or being moved,turn back on and big flash bang,dose of smoke and a rotton smell, whoopee,another quick chargable job.:D

I've changed my fair share of them as well.
I agree most of the pre 94 case's are long gone now.

taz.

Brian_UK
02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I agree most of the pre 94 case's are long gone now.That's why they've gone public now I expect ;)

davej
02-12-2007, 09:55 PM
surprised to see an ad in the newspaper today warning of the fault!!
why now?

Brian_UK
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
CYA insurance-wise I expect.