PDA

View Full Version : Fighter pilots

reggie
13-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Can anyone shed light on this subject???

I was talking to my boss the other day about the impending war on our Arab neighbours and how spectacular our jets were etc. and i wondered what sort of cooling system is inside a Tornado or F16??

......He claimed you wouldnt need a dx one as it would be fresh air ventilation.
.....But what about ****pit pressure etc and the extreme low temperatures at high altitude.?? Not to mention the diversity of altitude they fly at. In the Gulf the British tornados were flying as low as 40 feet on their sorties. Surely temperature would be critical for the pilots to be as comfortable as or if possible.

Anyone with an answer??

Andy
13-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi Reggie,
Airlinners user bootstrap air con. This is cooling by air venturi effect, I presume that fighter jets use the same.
Regards. Andy

Prof Sporlan
13-03-2003, 10:44 PM
The Prof recalls assisting a firm many years ago which supplied a cooling unit for one of our fighter jets. It was more or less a conventional refrigeration unit that cooled some of the electronics on the jet. The unit ran at very high condensing temperatures and, as a result, used R-114 refrigerant to keep head pressures down.

Peter_1
14-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Airliners use compressed air from one of the interstage compressortraps in a very simple Carnot heat exchanger.
There are mixing valves with hot compressed air for temperature regulation.
This compressed air is used to pressurise the body

Latte
12-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Hello Reggie,
If you have some time to spare go to the Boeing website
WWW.BOEING.COM
Once you get the homepage up type in "air conditioning" in the search box and you SHOULD get about 150 different pages.

Some are drawings for planes, others tech specs but they will take some time to load & look through.