PDA

View Full Version : Keep It Simple "KIS"

REEFER-TEK
30-11-2007, 03:07 PM
More common than not, i see techs as they become more educated in this industry overlook some of the very basics of the system. As an instructor and consultant i try to instill the K.I.S rule; Keep It Simple.

It is said that it takes a taletened individual to become acclamated in understanding the basics, because there is not really alot of physical evidence that can be seen or sensed, in a sytem, especially when we talk about methods of heat transfer and the latent heats that are involved.

I have been a firm believer of the K.I.S. as i have been known to over look the basics. which leads me to a story:

About a year or two after i started in the transport refrigeration business as an apprentice, i had a unit that was a multi-temp NO cool complaint, I had learned alot in over the two years and started applying every thing i learned and knew. I had invested 80+ labor hours trying to correct this complaint, replaced almost every component in the system after it had proven it was not defective, i was pulling my hair out and losing sleep, I called the OEM service mangers, no one was of any help, One morning I came into work and noticed that the outside walls were soaking wet the cross members were soaking wet and the ground was soaked with water only around the vehicle, it was the only wet area in the lot. It was then that i learned to go check the insulation in the box, and as well for water saturation, sure enough there it was staring me in the face, it was the box insulation the whole time, I overlooked the fact that it cooled well in the eveing when the sun went down, i overlooked the fact that the complaint happened in the spring on the very first hott day. Never again will that happent to me, this was a major learning curve for me and that was when i started applying the KIS rule.

"KEEP IT SIMPLE"

Regards

Brian_UK
30-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Here in the UK we go one step further R-Tek.

We always use KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid :)

REEFER-TEK
30-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Here in the UK we go one step further R-Tek.

We always use KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid :)

Well we do too, but I didnt want to offend anyone.

Regards Shawn

Brian_UK
30-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Oh, offend away, it is the weekend after all ;)

taz24
01-12-2007, 01:32 AM
More common than not, i see techs as they become more educated in this industry overlook some of the very basics of the system. As an instructor and consultant i try to instill the K.I.S rule; Keep It Simple.

"KEEP IT SIMPLE"

Regards

I use KISS and from the military I use all the PPPPPs.

Preperation Prevents Pi## Poor Performance.

taz.

REEFER-TEK
01-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Ha Ha the weekend is here and im settling into alot of fresh cold beers.

Have a good weekend

Regards R-T

thermo prince
01-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Reefer Tek, from your other posts I reckon you must have trained under Carol Bengston , Tom Parant and the crew at MPLS Training Centre ? Would I be right ... !
Did you work for TK in NYC before going out on your own then?

REEFER-TEK
01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Reefer Tek, from your other posts I reckon you must have trained under Carol Bengston , Tom Parant and the crew at MPLS Training Centre ? Would I be right ... !
Did you work for TK in NYC before going out on your own then?

Yes the MPLS TK factory learning center. I was a factory field trainer in the dealership but training outlines supported by the TK mpls, for Ron genda and Dave Palm and some of the other trainers. I worked for the Upstate New york tk dealer. I recently resigned from the dealership, to go out on my own.

The reason i leave was more so to train and educate others in the field with an unbiased approach, our market here is monoplized for tru equipment and the dealers. just trying to level the playing field a little bit.

thermo prince
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
R-T, Good luck in your solo ventures then - you appear you have a very positive and helpful attitude to get on. With some 600,000 reefer trailers criss-crossing USA & Canada, you are nicely positioned in New York state.

Somewhat related topic, I like the sharing attitude on this RE site between Carrier/Tk/Hubbard/GAC/Zanotti etc technicians. I am all for that- however I would say, try keep it in the trade incl for commercial & HVAC techs.
I grow concerned with the "weekend handyman" or 'Sunday driver' types who come online here though looking for detailed stuff on transport or commercial HVACR.
What's your indemnity or this site's disclaimer for potential injuries arising from "B&Q handymen" who get in too deep.
You can see the Commercial HVACR guys in UK are rightly trying to ensure that plumbers, cowboys & handymen do not get involved in AC&R at all or at least without proper training.

I would just encourage a note of caution on that. It's my personal opinion, dont know what you and the other trade guys here think. .....
have a good w/e all.

PS. a nod to Ray Kroc, one of the original founders of McDonalds (the hamburger McD's) for the KISS expression.

REEFER-TEK
01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
R-T, Good luck in your solo ventures then - you appear you have a very positive and helpful attitude to get on. With some 600,000 reefer trailers criss-crossing USA & Canada, you are nicely positioned in New York state.

Somewhat related topic, I like the sharing attitude on this RE site between Carrier/Tk/Hubbard/GAC/Zanotti etc technicians. I am all for that- however I would say, try keep it in the trade incl for commercial & HVAC techs.
I grow concerned with the "weekend handyman" or 'Sunday driver' types who come online here though looking for detailed stuff on transport or commercial HVACR.
What's your indemnity or this site's disclaimer for potential injuries arising from "B&Q handymen" who get in too deep.
You can see the Commercial HVACR guys in UK are rightly trying to ensure that plumbers, cowboys & handymen do not get involved in AC&R at all or at least without proper training.

I would just encourage a note of caution on that. It's my personal opinion, dont know what you and the other trade guys here think. .....
have a good w/e all.

PS. a nod to Ray Kroc, one of the original founders of McDonalds (the hamburger McD's) for the KISS expression.

I agree about the sharing of info, I would never give a person enough rope to hang theselves. I am all about respecting safety, This is my lively hood as it is yours and many others. I assist drivers in basic preventive measures, example would be shut the unit off when doors are opened. But i will assit other pros in the business as i would hope to recieve the same respect back.

I hope this sounds like a reasonanble approach.

Yes the solo thing is working out well, i have many fleets here that i work with. I dont mean to choke out the dealers here, but i must admit i dont like to see anyone be taken advantage of. The reefer repair market here is monopolized,, there needs to be somone out there educating, making more reefer tech engineers. I believe this will allow the market to become more competitive. and the customer than can afford to at least get a pm service for under $1000.00 dollars. Yikes did i say that out loud?

None the less many are afraid to say it, I on the other hand am not. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck,,, it must be a duck. we are professionals, not crooks.

Regards R-T