PDA

View Full Version : Gee Whiz!!!!

get the gauges
27-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Can anyone confirm what i have just been told ? I have often thought of a move into 'tarnsport' and reefer refrigeration.It's looks like a good challenge what with the the multi disciplines of electrics refrigeration and diesel mechanics although getting to the parts can be a f##cking nightmare i would imagine. Anyway today i called michael ward who have a depot near me and have been told before that they are in need of engineers.But what i was told nearly made me spurt my coffee all over my windscreen, apparently transport engineers there are on £11/hr tops ,if you compare this to a bog standard electrical install job which is 12-13/hr this seems pretty disgraceful,what is the point of moving in to the game i was offered £10/hr to start, considering i would be totally green i thought this was quite generous but when the future hold nothing more than another pound,what is the point.Surely it must be £25k for a tarnsport fridge man,what going on :confused:?

Latte
27-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Get The Gauges,

Thats probably about right, possibly though it might me more 12-13 top end. The problem with transport is that it is a 24/7 job. In my job my pay isnt the best in the area by a long way, but (And this is a big but) As i work withing the leisure industry my hours are fairly much 8:30 till 6pm. On the transport side, the lorries move 24/7, drivers forget to put fuel in at any time of day, belts break 24/7 and where as in a shop/bar/resturant if something breaks down they can move it to another fridge, you cant tranship a 40 ft artic on the side of the M25.

Having said that, i loved the transport side of the business. Parts are easy, just go to carrier or TK. none of this fitting a controller to get by. Is has lot a lot more complicated since i was there, Modulation was a technical as it got in my day. Controllers these days control electroninc Throttling valves, Soleniods and valves that were unheard of on a P600

Training is a must though, Dont know if Ward'y send people to TK or not, Reeferjon should be able to answer that.

Dont know if this reply helps with the money question but as for the job i think its worth it.

Regards

Raymond

REEFER-TEK
28-11-2007, 03:56 PM
My passion is in transport refrigeration industry, I dont care what it pays. It is challenging and a 24/7 job and i wouldnt change it for the world. You have to have skills in Automotive and truck hvac and electronics.

If you can hack those three important things, its worth it.

kg4yub
28-11-2007, 09:06 PM
no 1 made mention of pipe fitting, welding, straightening wrecks, repairing condensers damaged by firearms etc.i retired 6 mo ago & going nuts sitting on my keister playin with this puter. gotta find some p/t work in this trade or wind up in a mental clinic. regards KG4YUB

djbe
28-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Bear in mind that £11 per hr. is standard time rate.

As Rdowcra says it is a 24/7 trade and if you are prepared to put the hours in overtime rates and call outs can mean you have the potential to earn £££lots.

But be prepared to have no time to spend it:D

It is a challenging and for the most part rewarding trade which covers several disciplines but it's not for everyone.

It really depends what you want from your work.

Latte
28-11-2007, 11:11 PM
repairing condensers damaged by firearms etc.

If you think i am getting on top of a cab or up a ladder when there is evidence of someone shooting at it :eek:
No chance. Strangley enough, 5 years in the UK, Never come accross this on a call out

Regards

Raymond

get the gauges
29-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, maybe i could take it up at weekends as a hobby, see if i like it ? oh just for the record i never named this thread ' gee whizz' it was changed by admin

get the gauges
29-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Don't get me wrong,i don't mean to offend it just annoys me that tarnsport lads aren't being paid what they deserve.
steve

thermo prince
29-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I'd heard that refrigerated semi-trailers on the Basra-Baghdad highway were prone to r.p.g. attacks but surprised to hear about bullet- ridden condensers down Florida way?
Could it be the drug gangs misunderstood the double meaning of " reefer " somehow ???

REEFER-TEK
29-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I'd heard that refrigerated semi-trailers on the Basra-Baghdad highway were prone to r.p.g. attacks but surprised to hear about bullet- ridden condensers down Florida way?
Could it be the drug gangs misunderstood the double meaning of " reefer " somehow ???

Ha Ha, maybe drug related, but i have heard some people shoot holes in stuff when the service work is slow:eek:. Condensor is an easy target considering where its located.

A hole in a condensor that is sure to generate around 3k+ in parts and labor. Of course this a rumor and may hold no truth to it.

My favorite is the drivers that cant read roads signs and bridge clearances. That is definetly good for at least 10K+ in trailer repairs and another 5-10K in unit repairs.

thermo prince
29-11-2007, 04:42 PM
hmmm Reefer Tek, I'm tempted to use another gag about ' rifle bore' tubing on the coils ,,,,, but I wont ! he heee

REEFER-TEK
29-11-2007, 04:46 PM
HA Ha Im sure there are plenty of gags that generate service and parts revnue.