PDA

View Full Version : De superheater in Air Cooled Chiller

Rabindra
26-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Can any one please tell how doees a De superheater in air cooled chiller work? What are its advantages.

NoNickName
26-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Desuperheater removes heat from superheated refrigerant gas after compression, but it does not remove enough heat to cause condensation of the refrigerant. The advantage is the relatively high temperature of the removed heat, the disadvantage is that the desuperheater is normally limited to 5-25% of total heat rejection.

US Iceman
26-11-2007, 10:02 PM
As NoNickName stated the purpose of the desuperheater is to remove temperature from the gas stream.

NoNickName, nice to see you around here. How is your work progressing?

Rabindra
27-11-2007, 01:03 PM
What is the advantage of de-superheating the hot gas when it would otherwise be cooled by air on the air cooled condenser any way especially when both heat is to be dissipated to the ambient air. I am assuming that the de-superheater would be in operation when the chiller is operated to cool.

Desuperheater removes heat from superheated refrigerant gas after compression, but it does not remove enough heat to cause condensation of the refrigerant. The advantage is the relatively high temperature of the removed heat, the disadvantage is that the desuperheater is normally limited to 5-25% of total heat rejection.

Josip
27-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi, Rabindra :)

What is the advantage of de-superheating the hot gas when it would otherwise be cooled by air on the air cooled condenser any way especially when both heat is to be dissipated to the ambient air. I am assuming that the de-superheater would be in operation when the chiller is operated to cool.

Advantage is to use this 5-25% to heat sanitary water or something else...it is a "free" energy (already paid) and we have to see how to utilize it;) no need to dissipate it to the nature and then use electrical heaters or gas burners to heat something...

Best regards, Josip :)

NoNickName
28-11-2007, 01:13 AM
The advantage is the higher temperature than condensing temperature. So, if you need to recover heat at e.g. 70°C you can't use a condenser. You need a desuperheater.

And for US Iceman, I'm back in town. Leaving the new job for a refrigeration compressors manufacturing company. I'll be around more and more frequently.