PDA

View Full Version : Go to jail

coolincab
21-11-2007, 12:41 AM
been asked to recharge a/c unit for small room in building
havent had time to get my certificates yet can i be done for this

Brian_UK
21-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Unlikely unless you make a real pigs ear of it and damage someone else then all hell will break loose.

The MG Pony
21-11-2007, 01:53 PM
If you know how to do a proper job of it and do it correctly and professionaly no one will knotice or care who did it with what certs, but as brian said, if you some how royaly bodge it then head for the bunkers as an explosion of cluster f*ck is about to detonate! You don't want a front row seat for that sort of thing!

coolincab
21-11-2007, 03:32 PM
right i ll go & get me hammers out & get cracking

paul_h
21-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Do you have all the equipment?
Why do you need to recharge it?
If you don't have the certificates how can you obtain the refrigerant?

Argus
21-11-2007, 05:31 PM

Paul, there is no legal obligation to have any certification to buy refrigerant in the UK at the present time.

Your Granny could buy it.

All this is due to change soon with the F Gas regulations. Companies and individuals will need to be on a register, commencing July 2008 to buy it, but the Govt have not yet established who or what runs the register.

Also, it is technically illegal to handle HFCs since July 4th this year, but again the Govt have not yet written the exact form of compliance and the offences and penalties in UK law.

It’s been illegal to handle HCFCs without certification since last year.

taz24
21-11-2007, 07:57 PM
right i ll go & get me hammers out & get cracking

See there you go, makeing statements you obviously know nothing about.

Hammers indeed! Honestly, I ask you.

If you knew what you were talking about you would know we don't use hamers we use Stilsons:D

taz.

Ps only kidding.
If you want to use your hammers you can.

coolincab
22-11-2007, 12:18 AM
To paul
got the equipment
3/8 suction pipe worn through
420 gms r290 thats a expensive problem now

Grizzly
22-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Coolincab.
Can you or someone explain whats r290?
I hav'nt heard of that 1. Must be used on applications I don't deal with or is it supplier specific?
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Josip
22-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi, Grizzly :)

Hi Coolincab.
Can you or someone explain whats r290?
I hav'nt heard of that 1. Must be used on applications I don't deal with or is it supplier specific?
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

it is Propane...http://www.advgas.com/hydrocarbons.asp

not for smokers;)

Best regards, Josip :)

Grizzly
23-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Many Thanks for the clarification and link Josip.
In the good old days when Calor first introduced their "Care" range of refrigerants. The training / Certification was free. I don't think thats the case now?
I'M not sure be you may even have to be certificated to buy it nowadays. (Trainers please advise)!
Grizzly

paul_h
23-11-2007, 11:28 AM
To paul
got the equipment
3/8 suction pipe worn through
420 gms r290 thats a expensive problem now
OK, so as argus explained there is no restriction on refrigerant, so I don't know what the problem is.
R290 isn't even hard to get, just use BBQ gas and charge it through a large drier slowly :)
Hell if there's no restriction or proper laws written up there yet, enjoy the fun times and go with the flow, even in countries with restriction on refrigerants and handling, none applies to hydrocarbons, so you've got nothing to fear unless you blow the place up.
There's millions of PC enthusiasts making there own systems to chill their CPUs down with home made r290 systems to overclock them.

The MG Pony
23-11-2007, 02:49 PM
yup natures best refrigerant R-290!

I used to use a small rig made out of an old fridge compressor and a bunch of filter driers to clean up the BBQ grade R-290, came out squeaky clean and stench free (Aside from the good ol smell of old minerol oil)

Offers low compression ratios, low discharge temp and damned good cooling, I'd pick it over R-22 any day of the week!