PDA

View Full Version : Zanussi ZEF 90 W 1 freezer

senex
20-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I am new so be gentle with me.

My disabled son lives in a granny flat next to me and she who must be obeyed.

We installed the ZEF 90 2 years ago. We think he has not noticed that the door was recently not being closed properly. Supposed to be a frost free machine but there has been a build up of ice behind the panel which is fixed to the back of the internal compartment. (Likely to be caused by not closing the door properly?)

The pressure of ice has forced the panel forward and 'popped' a couple of the bracket holes in the moulding which hold the panel in place - left side bottom and lower central.

All this discovered when he told me he could not close the freezer door.

Rang Electrolux Zanussi and they tell me the internal back panel (which protects the circulation fax impeller and the freezing matrix) is not a spare part.

Plan A will now be to complete the full defrost just started, replace the panel with the remaining 3 good hex headed screws and use a couple of beads of silicon to help the panel stay tight flush - so that the door will close. Weight of the very light panel will be taken easily by the 3 good screw points. Only opening one drawer at a time will also no doubt encourage the panel to stay in place.

Can ordinary high modulus silicone be used inside freezers?

Does anyone know where I might obtain a panel?

Plan B will be to change the unit for another make! This seems a waste of a good machine in this environmentally aware world.

Grateful for any words of wisdom

chillin out
24-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi and welcome to RE.

Just defrost it properly and stick it back together, no need to use silicone on it though. And if you are putting screws through it watch out for the pipes.

Chillin:):)

taz24
24-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Plan B will be to change the unit for another make! This seems a waste of a good machine in this environmentally aware world.

Grateful for any words of wisdom

Do not rush and do anything hasty.
Totaly defrost the thing.
Switch off at the mains and leave for a full 24 hours in a normal warm kitchen.
Put lots of towels around the thing because lots of water will come from it.
Do not worry about sealents, don't bother.
Just remove the orriginal screws and replace with screws with small washers or over sized heads.
remove the screws and replace.
Gentley press the plastic back and refix with the screws.

It should be fine.

Cheers taz.

senex
17-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Thanks taz

That's exactly what I did. Oversize washers did the trick.

As is indicated there was a great deal of water removed.

Everything has been fine since.

I have to say that the innards could loosely be described as fragile and delicate - or crap - as the mood takes one.

Regards

chillin out
17-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks taz
Boo hoo....

Nobody ever thanks me.

Chillin:):)