PDA

View Full Version : Is my boss takeing the mick

Bexhill_Carl
20-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Im a 24 year old male. I have got 2 years air con experiance. I am confident installing and commissioning splits and have been doing them on my own. I have nealy compleatet a unico ducted system which i have done 90% on my own (my boss just case in put the unit in place). I also do the serviceing on my own. Thay have taken my work van away beause the electrical departmen neads it more so i've been useing my car. I only get £6.50 an hour. been promist a pay rise 6 months ago but have not seen it. i have an idear of what i should be on a hour or a day. just wondering what anyone else thinks i should be on. Also i got told to have days of cose there was no much work lately. should i ask for a bit more per hour to compancate for the days off if it hapens agen.

Any suggestions will be gratly apreated

chillin out
20-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Yes, he is.
(although I edited your title)

I would go get another job, and tell him where to go.
This way you burn your bridges with a bad company so you can never go back.
Cos after a while sometimes it might feel it wasn't a bad company to work for...... but it is.

Go find someone who will appreciate you. Even if your present boss offers more money tell him to shove it.

Chillin:):)

The Viking
20-11-2007, 08:36 PM
By the sound of things, the answer is yes.
(6.5x8x5x52=13.520!!!:eek:, we pay our apprentices more than that)
But there are a lot of other things to consider as well.

When you go out and look for a new job consider:
-Do they pay for your travel time
-How much holiday will you get
-Will you get paid for the overtime (normally at 1.5 your hourly rate)
-Sick pay
And so on....

Get a good CV together, ask some customer that is friendlier with you than your boss if he/she are willing to be a reference for you, get photos of units you installed (if you are in the piccie bending the pipes everybody will know you installed it), put a portfolio together explaining how you sorted troublesome units out.

I know the above will sound OTT but the reality is that the more you impress your new employer the higher offer you will get.

Ignore the agencies!
Get your folder together and send it straight to the companies you want to work for (ask other engineers, at wholesalers and so on, then go on the web and find their contact details). I know people will disagree with bypassing the agencies but think about it. If your future employer get your CV through an agency then he will have to pay them at least £2k if he hires you, wouldn't it be better if he could pay you those money?

Good luck out there!
:cool:

Brian_UK
20-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree with all said above but would give you a caution right now.

Beware using your own car for work purposes.
A. Is it insured for business use?
B. Is it suitable for carrying the gear that you use?

With A if it is not then any accident will mean you paying the costs, your car will also not be taxed because your insurance is invalid.

Scary, yes.

Look around and leave the firm in your dust.

yinmorrison
20-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I would say that he is not so much taking the mick but being very clever and as long as you are prepared to carry on doing what you do then he will abuse the situation. Although you have 2 years experience it does not mean that you are qualifies however and if you really wish to progress in this industry you should ask him to assist and if he is not willing you really should make your move. Certainly I for one would pay more for your current skills.

Tesla
21-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Guiday
By all means look for another job, but keep it professional - don't tell your boss to shove it. Give him fair notice. I have done that in the past and regret blowing up those bridges, little did I know I would need them later in my career. Like a prospective employer several years down the track may wish to contact your 1st a/c boss. Find what you like in your job and target a company who can provide what you need. Good luck

WINJA
21-11-2007, 06:19 AM
just get a better job, if your as good as you say you are let some one else pay you what your worth

frank
21-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Do you have a Safe Handling Certificate?

If not, then your prospects with other employers will be limited to training jobs which don't pay high hourly rates.

Good advice given by Brian about using your own vehicle for work purposes. Have you been paid expenses for this? - if not then request them, and, ask for them to be backdated.

marc5180
21-11-2007, 01:22 PM
If it was me, i would put your CV on the monster,fish for jobs websites and i guarantee you will have guys ringing you up every week, granted they are mostly agencies but still you will find work from them. If you dont have the Refrigerant handling qualification then i would suggest staying with your firm until you have taken it. Then as most people have suggested i would quietly go for interviews until you get offered a job that you fancy but even then i wouldnt leav on a bad note as othere people have said you never know when you may need your employers help...its a small world.
What ever you do good luck.:cool:

Bones74
22-11-2007, 03:25 AM
I agee, ask for a raise or start looking soon.

captincodeye
22-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Mate gett outta there, i posted a thread about agenicys why no one helped me with at all i joined a really gud agency an they hav found me a good job which pays more the i was expecting, and where realy helpfuly an listedned to me pm if you wan the details Just dont tell them im still activaly looking for overseas work hehe

Hope u get urself sorted soon mate

get the gauges
24-11-2007, 03:26 PM
umm... well i'm sorry but am going to answer this question from my experience and what you've said.

Are you really as good as you think you are ? Two years experience is not that much,to me you are an apprentice,yes your boss will be taking the p##s because thats what bosses do i've rarely met a company director who wasn't that way. It seems to me that kids these days aren't happy unless they're on £25k and a vito . You've got to decide whether your an engineer or an apprentice or if you are not undertaking any trade qualifications you could be classed as a mate, your actual age is different to your trade age ,if you were an electrician you would be more than likely using your own vehicle to get to jobs not all trades have vans provided as standard, but only morning and night as said before you will need insurance other than social and domestic to drive to jobs by day,and you will need to charge for mileage approx. £0.35/mile. There are loads of firms out there that will pay you £8/hr i think you can only trade off low pay with interesting work that is also a learning ground, if i was you and was used to your money i'd approach a chiller firm and get learning about something where you can really learn something.

Pooh
24-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately although you are doing instals and service on your own you are classified as unqualified so would not receive the normal engineers rate. Your best bet would be to get yourself the trade qualifications, NVQ2 and Refrigerant Handling then you will be able to get a Skill Card as an engineer and warrent the normal rate. You may have a problem shortly if you have not got the quals under the FGAS regs. If you can get a copy of the draft minimum qualifications you will see that you will not be able to install or service without the proving a minimum competency level.

Ian

coldone
25-11-2007, 10:42 PM
god dam yes he is taking the mick....secretly look to find a job elsewhere there has been some good advice given by other members before me so Ill leave it there good look

Eski
04-01-2008, 07:13 AM
I would work on your grammar before you send out any CV, or at least get someone to 'spelchek' it. Nothing worse than poorly written resumes which, if you hire the person, will mean poorly written and hard to understand service reports.