PDA

View Full Version : SY Cable

Celcius
20-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi

We've recently found that SY cable is not allowed for outdoor use due to it not being UV rated, if you look at older installations you can see the effect.

What other alternatives are there to SWA as SWA is a nightmare to terminate with ac units. The only way to earth the armour with smaller splits is to link an earth cable from the interconnecting isolator gland. This needs to be 4mm if it comes from outside of the isolator.

I reckon 80% of installations use SY.

Any ideas?

Brian_UK
20-11-2007, 12:45 AM
How about FP200 in white?

Slim R410a
20-11-2007, 12:56 AM
This is what I have been using the last six months, probably quicker to install than SY, alot tougher and looks better with your pipework. The solid core makes crimping easier too. Give it a go for the same price as SY you cant go wrong.

http://www.actionlampco.com/evertuf.htm

Cheers

Celcius
20-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I thought most manufacturers advise against solid cores.

Do you put a crimp on to terminate?

I also thought crimps were only for use on stranded core cable.:confused:

Slim R410a
20-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I use the red ring crimps on all terminals, you have to use these for the earth at least on most splits as the earth connection is on a seperate plate sometimes.

ram
20-11-2007, 07:24 PM
I use Evertuff as well, it is good.

sinewave
20-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Being an Electrician as my 'first' trade can you quote me a Reg No' from BS7671 that forbids SY for use outdoors? :cool:

refaircon
20-11-2007, 10:51 PM
i'd be interested to to know the outcome of this, as we currently use sy

Slim R410a
21-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Just googled SY cable and found this:

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/consult.php?action=main&mode=consult&id=4737

frank
21-11-2007, 12:35 PM
What other alternatives are there to SWA as SWA is a nightmare to terminate with ac units. The only way to earth the armour with smaller splits is to link an earth cable from the interconnecting isolator gland. This needs to be 4mm if it comes from outside of the isolator.

Don't forget that the steel braiding on SY should also be earthed. There are special terminals available for this.

Why does the seperate earth from the isolator gland need to be 4mm? Surely it should be sized in accordance with BS7671 and be dependant upon the size of the phase cores, i.e. you wouldn't use 4mm earth if the supply was in 6mm or 10mm :confused:

eggs
21-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I heard this SY is banned thing about 12 months ago. Turned out it was one of the big M&E contractors who disallowed it on their jobs. I think it was AMEC, or Matthew Hall as they are called once again.

I personally use SY with the correct glands, and have never suffered this "UV unstable" rubbish. What i have seen is rusty waterlogged braiding due to cheap stuffin glands having been used.

Cheers

eggs

robin r33 gtr
21-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Our company also uses evertuff and have not had any problems. I think it makes an install tidy as it is black and we also use black condensate drain.

Celcius
26-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Apparantly 4mm cable is the minimum size when running earths as a singular.

It was a BT site where the chillers were wired in SY. The cable had to be stripped out after a couple of years, although apparantly the roof is a bit of a sun trap.

Also a consultant snagged some SY cable on a another site. Not sure of the outcome of that one though.

alex242
26-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I use Evertuff as well, it is good.

Evertuff sounds good, please can someone post some details on it web site/supplier

Thanks