PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint domestic lights on but fridge off

yahweh
09-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Thats right I am a dumbo with fridges. My domestic fridge has its light on but is not cooling - please help this simpleton : ( or else I will have to buy a new one I can hardly afford :eek:

Brian_UK
12-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Yahweh, you have a couple of choices/options and it all depends on your expertise or capabilities.

The fault could be that the thermostat controlling the compressor motor has failed. You may be able to test it and replace it yourself BUT DO NOT ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF P L E A S E; turn off the power and unplug it before you do anything.

If the thermostat is OK then your next move is to throw the fridge away, via the local authority, and buy a new one. If you are hard up for cash then getting a shop or engineer to check/repair it will/could cost more than a new machine and be without warranty.

Sorry to sound depressing but that's the way it goes sometimes, if any UK tech disagrees with me then do please speak up.

yahweh
13-02-2003, 03:22 AM
thanks Brian for your reply
I phoned Hotpoint and they have agreed to send an engineer under the five year guarantee
Costs are £98 for the visit but all spares are free.
Seems cheaper than buying a new fridge freezer
Engineer calling Monday 17th
If you wish I can keep you informed of the outcome
Thank you again
yahweh

herefishy
13-02-2003, 03:47 AM
...We await the outcome, with baited breath...! :)

Abe
13-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Yahweh

98 Quid for a visit, under the 5 year warranty?? What kind of warranty is that???

If its a stat, it only cost a few pounds..........so Hotpoint are laughing all the way..........to the Bank

phil.knowles
13-02-2003, 09:31 PM
service thermostats are cheap but can they be fitted to all domestics or do you have to get the correct stat from the manufacturer

Abe
13-02-2003, 10:01 PM
In the UK the thermostats comonly used are either Ranco or Danfoss

Brian_UK
14-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by yahweh
Costs are £98 for the visit but all spares are free.

I think I rest my case...;)

Originally posted by yahweh
If you wish I can keep you informed of the outcome

Yes, please do..

yahweh
16-02-2003, 08:31 PM
cheque book at the ready for tomorrow's visit.

will get back to all you kind folks

yahweh

yahweh
19-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Update
Service Engineer from 'General Domestic Appliances Ltd' (Hotpoint service center) did call and announced the compressor needed replacing.
He brought in a new compressor and his measuring equipment. Soon discovered that there was a gas leak.
Downed tools and declared the fridge unrepairable.
Dispose of fridge and buy a new one was his expert opinion.
Today, I will remove the fridge and buy another.
He did however charge the 'minimum' estimate charge fee of £34.99 for his visit.
That looks like that.
Extended warranties may be sensible after all. I would have got a free replacement with one.
Thanks for all your help.
yahweh

Karl Hofmann
19-02-2003, 10:37 AM
I guess that you were unlucky, I would say that fridges are pretty reliable by and large. I've never bought extended warranties on anything, they're a scam!! Count up how much money you havn't paid out on warranties that you havn't used on products that havn't broken and you could buy your self a new fridge!

Just my view!

yahweh
19-02-2003, 01:40 PM
we all live and learn
so though sad
its a lesson that I learnt
thanks for all your comforting thoughts
Now I have to dispose of the old fridge and that is also going to cost money
what a wonderful society we live in
yahweh

subzero*psia
19-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Aiyub
Yahweh

98 Quid for a visit, under the 5 year warranty?? What kind of warranty is that???

If its a stat, it only cost a few pounds..........so Hotpoint are laughing all the way..........to the Bank

I have to agree with you Aiyub.... a five year warranty should have covered replacement... not just labor if it was through the manufacturer!

I buy the extended warranties ... I figure if the compressor goes... THEY can change it and all that goes along with it... or replace the fridge... or credit me toward a new one... and THEY are responsible for removal ... LOL!! Extended warranties aren't that expensive and one service call by an AUTHORIZED service agent is more than the plan cost. I get mine through Sears.... and they do a yearly preventative maintenance for me at no charge, replace ANY bad, damaged or broken parts all at no additional charge. I can't beat that with a stick!

I call them about every 10 months whether I need actual service or not.... just had THREE Sears Service Trucks here at the same time last week working on the fridge, range and big screen TV! :p I had them doing preventative maintenance... they need the $work$ which is paid through their corporate warranty plan, and I appreciate the service! :)

BTW.... I'm sure I was the talk of the neighborhood! :p :p :p

yahweh
19-02-2003, 06:28 PM
New Whirlpool fridge freezer delivered at 15h10 by a bad tempered pair.

They didn't unpack and remove the packings - because they were 'late' with their last delivery.

Recepient was our tenant, a single parent female with two young children, completely non plussed at what to do.

Complained to Comet and got the delivery charge refunded - so they said

Should I get the extended warranty?

Which, the Consumer group, advises against it and says it is not cost effective - so what do I do?

What about the Sears third party deal? Is it the best or is there better?

We have just this one flat we rent and the problems that have arisen - we are at the start of a three lease !!

Thanks for your patience in listening to this saga

yahweh

PS
need a holiday

mark64
30-06-2003, 12:51 AM
i think iwould have made hotpoint find the leak even if it ment replacing every part on unit and not just fobed off

yahweh
30-06-2003, 11:10 AM
As it happens we bought a fridge from Comet and then had the problem of disposing of the Hotpoint safely. nothing comes easy

condenseddave
01-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Is it a real issue to dispose of old fridges in the UK? In the US, we just recover the *****, tag the unit, and remove the doors, then the scrapyards take them and crush them...

Abe
01-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Retailers make more money out of "extended warranties" then they do on the product. Salespersons are primed to sell extended warranties and these pursuasions actually target your anxieties about breakdowns. So the buyer goes for it.

And then when its time to have a breakdown, if its costly the retailer simply cancels the contract and sends you a cheque for " an amount" which they hope will appease you. They say it is "unrepairable"

But they dont give you a new fridge.

This is what I think. If the fridge works properly for one year, it will work for another five........

If its going to get sick it will die within three months.

Preferably buy your fridge before the hottest day of the year, hopefully you have a budding meteorologist living in your house.