PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Lifting

brad72
14-11-2007, 06:09 AM
G'day All. We have a 64m2 freezer room (and 4m high), that has been running at approx -24C for few years. 6 months ago, it started to lift out of the ground on one side. This has now reached approx 2 inches in the worst spot. We know there must be water in some walls, and possibly even the ceiling after forklift damage, but we are trying to work out if the floor will settle back to normal height, and or can we repair. Any thoughts?
We have turned it off to defrost so we can fully inspect. Help appreciated. Thanks :eek:

p_p
14-11-2007, 11:19 AM
G'day Mate.

WE do alot of work for Foster Coldstores/ refrigerator over here.
I take it the floor is lifting due to ice underneath it?
Has it got a heater mat fitted?
Fosters state anymore then 9msq should have heater mat.
If the panels have suffered water/ice ingress they need to be replaced.

If ou need anymore tech info i'll speak to fosters for you, hope this helps

Regards

PP

Argus
14-11-2007, 12:44 PM

PP’s right - if the floor is of any size it must have heaters fitted, otherwise it will heave – no question.

Next thing is the vapour seal on the walls and floors. If it’s damaged and water has penetrated, the water will spread deeper each time it has the opportunity to thaw. There is no quick fix to this; it will only ever get worse and eventually in the fullness of time, destroy the structure, not the mention the increased running costs.

You may also consider rising groundwater, if the terrain is appropriate.
This may penetrate the structure from below and can rise through the walls, especially if there is a break in the vapour seal.

If there is visible frost damage showing in the walls and floors, the problem is well and truly an old one. It doesn’t happen overnight and I think that you have to think about stripping out and re-building the parts affected.

John Hunter
14-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I can agree with all above. It sounds as if the "Frost Heave" has damaged the original structure including the vapour barrier. Defrosting will only allow the water to permeate further and if the insulating materials are expanded poly it will prove impossible to fully remove and will have to be replaced. Under floor heating in a freezer location is a must as even with a well insulated floor perma frost will effect the substrata. If a permanent lasting repair is required the floor will have to be rebuilt. The cost of such repairs may be such that the original structure is best condemned and a new facility built correctly.

Argus
14-11-2007, 11:24 PM
I can agree with all above. It sounds as if the "Frost Heave" has damaged the original structure including the vapour barrier. Defrosting will only allow the water to permeate further and if the insulating materials are expanded poly it will prove impossible to fully remove and will have to be replaced. Under floor heating in a freezer location is a must as even with a well insulated floor perma frost will effect the substrata. If a permanent lasting repair is required the floor will have to be rebuilt. The cost of such repairs may be such that the original structure is best condemned and a new facility built correctly.

Thanks, John.

All good common sense - no point throwing good money after bad.