PDA

View Full Version : Copeland Discus aluminum debris

racknovice
12-11-2007, 04:43 AM
I have been assigned the task of changing oil to all of the compressors in one particular rack. Yesterday while removing the oil screen and sleeve, I noticed some metallic fine debris in the screen. It seemed to be aluminum. I guess now that it comes from the wearing of the piston, rods or bushings. Nevertheless, the compressor runs smoothly with no strange sounds or vibration, stable pressures and amps. Is this wear debris normal for an eight year old compressor?

M.Amer
13-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Wel i hve an experinced da same wid 35 hp cold rum,comp,i thnk it is deu 2 1 reson at low temp (-30c)and low back press...da oil press drops.at da same time quntity of oil reduce in crank case..machanical parts ar spciely effectd undr these conditon, causing increasd friction..n heat if it stys 4 long time da oil chratrictics chang as wel...da best thng im doing is using oil seprator..keeping oil leval2max. proper super heat ..frequntly chang oil.......da conditins of my comp 4 awy betr....

EvTech
27-11-2007, 06:05 AM
I have been assigned the task of changing oil to all of the compressors in one particular rack. Yesterday while removing the oil screen and sleeve, I noticed some metallic fine debris in the screen. It seemed to be aluminum. I guess now that it comes from the wearing of the piston, rods or bushings. Nevertheless, the compressor runs smoothly with no strange sounds or vibration, stable pressures and amps. Is this wear debris normal for an eight year old compressor?The 8 year old Discus compressor with the "aluminum debri" in the crankcase probably had it's valve reeds replaced at one time or another. Those reeds are notorious for chewing up the tops of the pistons when they "go bad", and if the pistons aren't totally trashed (and the place is under service contract including compressors ;)) most mechanics just replace the broken reeds and hope for the best :D ...The "debri" you see is the aftermath of the "chewed up pistons".