PDA

View Full Version : expansion device location on split a/c systems

paulwild
11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
hi, guys in split a/c packages were are the filter/driers normally located also expansion device

Lowrider
11-11-2007, 11:54 AM
On most new split ac's there's no filter/drier anymore. Expansion device is different for each brand! Could be indoors and outdoors, either lev, tev (or what ever els they call it) or cap.

paul_h
11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Usually in the outdoor unit behind the compressor, ie above the service valves. They normally don't have a drier either, just a strainer.
Large ducted ones or multi split units have them in the indoor unit sometimes though.

paulwild
11-11-2007, 02:17 PM
hi, paul h
if the expansion device is in the outdoor unit would this make the discharge cold to touch and could it not pick up lots of heat by the time it gets to the evaperater
cheers mate

Pooh
11-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Yes that is why the expansion line from the outdoor unit to the indoor is insulated (the small pipe)

Ian

wesmax
11-11-2007, 11:51 PM
The only place for the expansion device is at the evap drier at the outlet of condensor.

Brian_UK
12-11-2007, 12:49 AM
You really need to check the manufacturers technical manuals where they should show pipework layouts.

Peter_1
12-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Many have a mesh filter soldered inside the tube and not easy accesable.

wesmax
12-11-2007, 06:02 PM
all filter driers have a mesh filter in them but it is good refrigeration practice to install a drier in all systems even if the factory will not.

Peter_1
12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
I know, but they only have a mesh filter, not a dryer.
If you install a filter, then it will allways be soaking wet and it wil rust after a short time.

If it's a HP -most common nowadays - ,then you just can't install a standard dryer.

If you installed everything according to the right rules, then you don't need a dryer.

Pooh
12-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Peter
going on your comments there should be a filter drier in the liquid and suction line taking that most splits are fitted by people who do not know how to instal them properly in the first place.

Who needs training its only two pipes that need connecting and they are different sizes which makes it easier still.

Sorry folks but questions like this one make me wonder why some people are being allowed near kit like this if they do not know how it works.

Ian

wesmax
12-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Well a different part of the world you do different things here if you do not put in a drier you are not doing a proper job and i have never heard of a liquid line drier that will rust.

Peter_1
12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Wesmax, both lines in nowadays AC's are LP and especially the small one has the lowest temperature where you will fit your drier because it's not yet superheated but at evaporating temperature, so around 0°C.
Your drier is mostly in steel, so it will rust.

Same story for the return line, even if it's superheated, you wille encounter conditions where condensation can't be avoided.

AC's units in your part of the world are the same as we use here and I never saw in a manual of an AC that they recommend a drier. :confused:
Daikin nor Mitsubishi nor any other brand has other recommendations in another part of the world.
Unless you can show me this.

Installing driers in AC's to solve the problems caused only by the lack of experience of DIY'ers isn't the right way.

As said, if you install it the right way and follow the proper procedures, you don't need a filterdryer and if it was needed, then I wonder why I have so less troubles with those we instaled over more then 20 years.

Proper procedures are valid universall.

wesmax
13-11-2007, 02:14 AM
We are talking two completely different systems we install very few splits here and I have never installed one , here the splits aresold mostly in cpartments and condo units . The most common are the A coil in the furnace and 20 to 50 feet away outside is the high side liquid line is high pressure. The only time the suction line has a drier is if the compressor has had a burnout and the new one needs to be protected.

chancie owens
07-03-2009, 10:21 PM
mitsubishi dosent allow dryers because the expansion valve is located in the outdoor unit and the liquid line is only 3 inches long you cant get a filter dryer small enough to fit in there and they dont make suction dryers that flow 2 ways so its not allowed .liquid dryers cause to much restriction on there design.