PDA

View Full Version : Compressor base

samiam
09-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I require a 400KW screw compressor (which uses NH3) at -10C/35C, evaporating condensers.

What preparations do I need to ensure that the concrete compressor base/floor is sufficient for the compressor.

I have been told it should be 100mm above the finish floor level?

Any other rules of thumb?

Thanks

Brian_UK
09-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Ensure that the construction will take the weight of the compressor and associated equipment.

Perhaps consider a sound proofing or vibration absorbing layer being included in the base.

Would it be sensible to build in some steelwork to accpet the equipment mounting bolts etc.?

John Hunter
15-11-2007, 09:54 PM
As the screw compressor is a dynamically balanced rotary machine , a concrete foundation capable of supporting the weight of the compressor set and maintaining coupling alignment is all that is necessary. The make of compressor will determine the configuration of the base and the necessary height clearances required. A Howden WRV for example has a vertical discharge and requires sufficient clearance from the floor to accommodate the outlet bend and pipe . Howden have published foundation details in the past for all their machines and no doubt could supply any details required as no doubt could other OEM's. When a concrete foundation is used it is wise to incorporate a Sole Plate or Base plate suitably levelled and fixed to the concrete with foundation bolts grouted in to the concrete. Correctly fitted this will make the installation and alignment of the compressor and its driver fairly easy. When a concrete base is used with grouted foundation bolts sufficient curing tie must be allowed for before any loading are applied whether static or dynamic.

US Iceman
15-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Most of the concrete pads I have seen are 6" thick and reinforced with re-bar. The mounting bolts can be either connected to the re-bar or epoxy set anchors inserted after drilling a hole for the anchor.

After mounting the compressor on the bolts, level and adjust the compressor package with the bolts (used as jacking screws, if you will). Then tighten all of the nuts, then grout between the compressor base and the concrete pad.

Seems to work very well...