PDA

View Full Version : Oxy nozzles

reggie
29-01-2003, 07:04 AM
Has anyone any information on nozzle sizes for oxy acet welding.
Obviously the bigger the nozzle for the larger pipe but is there an optimum size chart in order to improve the neatness of our joints??

herefishy
29-01-2003, 07:59 PM
All I'm rigged up with is #2. I have no problem with diameters up to 1-3/8", which is about as big'round as my activities call for....

Now, I have my "ACE" tech, who loves his "Rosebud" tip for larger diameters. While doing a job, he'll remark, "Hey, I've got my rosebud over there if you want it...."

I usually remark, "I don't need no stinkin' rosebud !"

I think that for the most part, tip selection is dependant on technique and patience, of course in line with the job to be done.

As far as "neatness", what you can see does not qualify the quality of the joint, however may be an indication thereof. The quality of a joint is determined by the amount of alloy that is drawn in between the two surfaces of the fitting/pipe (what you can't see).

I observe how far from the exposed "joint" that the thin film of alloy has traveled from the exposed part of the weld, to determine the integrity of my work. The outside of the overlaying fitting/pipe will have "drawn up" the alloy and be an indication of how deep the alloy has creeped into the overlap and represent how much surface area is bonded.

What are you doing now? What problem are you having?

Andy
29-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi, Reggie:)
I use three sizes, No.8 (portapack size) for general brazing, No.3 (portapack size) for small stuff and a small set of burning gear for anything above 25/8", most people look at me when I get the burning head out, but it is most effective and the only way of ensuring capillary action of the rod right back into the fitting.
Regards. Andy.:D

herefishy
30-01-2003, 12:41 AM
hmmmmmmm............. Turbotorch...........

I've never tried one. You are pleased with it though, Marc?

angryk
30-01-2003, 02:07 AM
turbo torch is the way to go. I use straight acetylene, never tried propane. I've never tried oxy/acetylene, I was under the impression that was mainly for cutting. The biggest i've ever needed to braze was 2 1/4". Turbo torch makes a wide assortment of tips for most every application. I like them because the flame is relatively small and concentrated, good in tight situations, although the whistle gets to be a bit much sometimes.

zolar1
30-01-2003, 05:51 AM
I read somewhere that acetylene is not recommended for use on copper refrigeration lines because it chemically altered the copper.

Any experts out there that can verify this?

reggie
30-01-2003, 07:30 AM
Everybody i know uses oxy acet with no problem on copper piping. But then they should be using nitrogen purging when they braze but they never do. Come to think of it neither do i.

Tejbir Singh
12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi, Reggie
I use three sizes, No.8 (portapack size) for general brazing, No.3 (portapack size) for small stuff and a small set of burning gear for anything above 25/8", most people look at me when I get the burning head out, but it is most effective and the only way of ensuring capillary action of the rod right back into the fitting.
Regards. Andy.

25/8" will make a hole in any thing
I us 3/64" tip for the steel sheet cutter for bigger jobs
regards
Tejbir

Dan
13-08-2003, 02:21 AM
Our production fitters use oxy-acetylene. We use 2, 3, and 4 tips depending on the size of pipe. 4 is good for 2-5/8. Roof top work with 100-foot hoses requires high acetylene pressures.. as high as 35 psi.

We don't look for pretty joints. We observe how the solder flows on the outside to mirror what is happening within the joint. Most of the time the pretty joint is a cold weld and has voids. The ones that look like fudge on ice cream are the good joints.

Not sure how our torch tip numbers translate into British sizes. Turbotorches are great for non-production pipefitting, such as one finds in service repair situations. I have never heard that acetylene changed copper and have no experience to show it.

I have watched our method for 17 years and leaks are extremely rare in our solder joints. I call it "our" method, but I simply mean how the veteran production fitters who work for me do it.

Let the solder spill over the female fitting. It is telling you that you have a good solid internal seal. For me, that is a beautiful solder joint. Not a clean and neatly capped solder joint. Those are the leakers.

DaBit
13-08-2003, 09:29 AM
I own a Turbotorch TL44 running on MAPP/air for my own work (where 7/8" is about the largest pipe used), but sometimes I am doing parts of the construction work in a better outfitted machine shop, and there is also an oxy/acetylene torch available.

Turbotorch works fine, but if I had the choice I would really, really prefer oxy/acetylene. I love the small, clean and hot flame which allows me to do the job quicker and cleaner than with MAPP or propane.