PDA

View Full Version : defrost timer wiring codes etc ..

2tone
03-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Hi there ..

We are wanting to replace a faulty defrost-timer with a unit salvaged from another fridge .

However the two units are set up differently (wire colors etc ), so we have the dreaded uncertainty factor .

Both units have 4 terminals ..

original is numbered
1-2-3-4

replacement timer
2-3-4-1

Q1.
Are the numbers universal ?
i.e do we simply number-match the wires to the terminals ?

Q.2
The replacement unit has a green wire attached to the metal body of the timer motor . The original defrost timer doesn't have this wire .
Is this what i see referred to online as a "flying lead wire"?
What is its function ?

Cheers ..:)

Bones74
03-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi there ..

We are wanting to replace a faulty defrost-timer with a unit salvaged from another fridge .

However the two units are set up differently (wire colors etc ), so we have the dreaded uncertainty factor .

Both units have 4 terminals ..

original is numbered
1-2-3-4

replacement timer
2-3-4-1

Q1.
Are the numbers universal ?
i.e do we simply number-match the wires to the terminals ?

Q.2
The replacement unit has a green wire attached to the metal body of the timer motor . The original defrost timer doesn't have this wire .
Is this what i see referred to online as a "flying lead wire"?
What is its function ?

The numbers do not match, get a shematic from the manutacture to find out what wire go to what with your original timer. Them meter out the new timer to find out what terminals go in what order. The green to the body is a ground and if the timer is a issue, buy a Supco EDT10 timer, it comes with a schematic.:cool:

taz24
03-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi there ..

Without intentionaly being rude are you sure you are capable of wiring this timer.
If you don't know the difference between live and earth I think for your own safety you should leave it alone.

taz.

Peter_1
03-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Taz made the best comment, I think it's better if you let this to a pro.
And oh yes, nice intro.

2tone
18-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey .. its only a relay box right ?

a glorified light switch , you might say :)

Personally i dont see why they aren't solid state timer relays like what is in my car .

2tone
18-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Without intentionaly being rude are you sure you are capable of wiring this timer.
If you don't know the difference between live and earth I think for your own safety you should leave it alone.

taz.

So why do they call it a "flying lead wire" then taz ?

Peter_1
18-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Personally i dont see why they aren't solid state timer relays like what is in my car .

Well, if it's that simple........;)

2tone
18-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey Peter ..
Yes well it is that simple isn't it ?

It seems to me that terms like "defrost timer" are more confusing than helpfull ..

When i first encountered the term "Defrost timer" i thought that it must be some thermostat driven device . And while i am sure that some are thermostat driven the likes of all the domestic units i have looked at lately are simply a motor driven wheel with contacts on the rim . And there are contours on the rim that at certain points of the rotation bring some contacts into circuit while at other times other circuits operate .

So it is a timing relay .. and the fact that it operates the defrost has nothing to do with it perse but rather is a function of the circuit it is wired into .

It is a timed relay for that reason .

I have a solid state timing relay in my car that operates the indicators flashing cycle .. it doesnt have a motor and is likely a far better device for controlling cycles since it would draw less power than a mechanical motor .

And "flying lead wire" is a rather silly term for an external earthing circuit , isnt it ?
After-all "lead wire" sounds like a live wire to me , doesn't it to you ?

And it is not exactly rocket science to test continuity on the contacts is it ? ..

Continuity demonstrates the function of the terminals .. what is so professionally high tech about that ?

Also it is common knowledge that almost any defrost timer can be replaced with any other .. what is so hard about telling people that .. ?

Tell it the way it is , name it according to its function .

Gary
20-11-2007, 06:01 PM

You're right. It's a no-brainer. Any child could figure it out.

So... why are you here?

2tone
20-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I dont know about any child figuring it out , but if a person takes a defrost timer apart then it is far simplier to understand its function .

Also it does take time to figure things out , time that is shortened by discussing it with others - especially others with more experience .

The main issue i had was what i felt was the rather excessive use of different color wires in the fridge , and the determination the the defrost timer was actually the article i was looking at .

The wiring diagrams are usefull and all but they are not true to position in the fridge . And because of that are a bit less usefull than they could be . Having said that now know what i have learnt the diagrams make more sense .

EdC
23-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I like blue for stat & noid, yeller on the clock, red for fans, and black for heater, just cause everyone else liked red for heaters. Black is also popular for the line too. Mount the clock, ground it, and leave the mains open. Call the reeferman.

fans stat noid heater clock DFT line 1 2 3 4 N and for amusement, sometimes a loop through
the motor contactors aux that forbids DF until the pumpdown completes.

oops.. did I forget X?
my bad.
Did you mean the frying lead wire? We stopped using those in the '70s in North America.

Things are rarely as simple as they may look.

tonyelian
14-12-2007, 11:07 PM
hi i am tony elian i am new at ref eng almost every def timer has 4 terminals one is away from the other 3 so he is the first terminal of the timer motor energized by line#1 next to it is terminal for mot-comp next is the common energized by line #2 it switches between the mot-comp and def heaters at the same time it is the second line of timer motor the last one is 4 def heater you can figure that with an ohm meter