PDA

View Full Version : F Gas and future training

gwilliamson
02-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Have just read the editors comment in this months RAC magazine which to me sounds like there has been some sort of announcment on the minimum training qualifications regarding F gas we are all eagerly awaiting! although it does not actually say what these requirenments will be yet.

Does anybody know any more deatil on this?

Thanks

Gareth

Pooh
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Announcement will be on the 5th December so I am led to beleive from a meeting I attended two weeks ago at Summit Skills. If anybody does know they are keeping it very quiet at present.

Ian

hendrag
21-11-2007, 06:44 PM
i have been involved with fgas for 4 years now all that time there has been 1 big question what is the minimum qualification?. This was due to be set in june/ october and now december 2007. The uk government is dragging its feet, the new qualification will HAVE to be in place in june 2008, you will have to have the qualification by June 09. The delay is because the uk reccomendation is the safe handling of refrigerant which any moron can pass, thankfully the eu has said no way it must be tougher. The smart money says the qualification will be nvq level 2 or equivalent. Your best bet is to go to www.acrib.co.uk (http://www.acrib.co.uk) and log on for updates.

dont go for any training yet as you could be studying the wrong course but if all you have is safe handling best start looking for your local fridge college.

good luck

Hendrag

taz24
21-11-2007, 10:47 PM
The delay is because the uk reccomendation is the safe handling of refrigerant which any moron can pass,

good luck

Hendrag

This is where some confusion lies because acording to C&G The 2078 is a level 2 qualification, But as you state above (I'll leave the rest to your imagination)

taz.

hendrag
25-11-2007, 08:55 PM
i have JUST recieved the final draft of the training regs for FGAS and it looks like nvq / candG level 2 will do it. The list of things you need to know reads like an a to z of refrigeration, we are all gonna have to be proper fridge engineers to get the ticket Yipeee, about time too.

I will post a full list in the next few days

oh and for the record Both the engineer and the company will have to have a ticket so time to kick your bosses arse and get someone over to college quick smart

regards

Hendrag tech manager LG uk

p_p
25-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Any Moron can pass the NVQ level 2 aswell, I know engineers that have passed this & dont have the faintest idea about the job,
Tesco's will be selling em next.
It needs something strict like corgi registration or similar.

PP

Pooh
25-11-2007, 10:57 PM
PP
you think CORGI is strict? you should meet some of the CORGI registered gas fitters I know, would'nt let them fit a bog chain.
Unfortunately you are right in saying some of the guys with NVQ's know very little but I suggest they took them more than three years ago when knowledge was proved by assignments done as homework, a lot of copying went on, now they have to sit three seperate exams on their own so they cannot cheat. If they do'nt know it they do not pass.

Ian

p_p
26-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Last week I was asked by Foster Coldstores to attend a site that wes having temp problems with a walk in freezer.
It was installed by 2 engineers with an NVQ in RAC who worked for an AC company.
It was a searle TG cooler mounted upside down on the WALL which you can mount on the wall, ( not the norm ) the right way round with a drain kit.
It was wired all to **** aswell.
But to the EU this doesn't matter because they had their NVQ 2.
Anyone get my point?
There will never be a substitute for experience EVER.
I took my first safe gas handling in 1995, 12 years later they make it mandatory, can anyone tell me,if they have any customers or know of anyone in the general public who are aware of this legislation?
I have worked in this industry for 23 years & some of the best engineers that I have been fortunate to work with have never been to college, what are the EU going to do with them?
Further more who is policing the safe gas legislation I know of engineers who have still not attained this level.
In a word its all Bo----ks

Rant Over Untill Tomorrow

Regards To All

PP

Pooh
26-11-2007, 02:13 AM
I have a mate who until he was made redundant was the senior commissioning engineer for the worlds largest manufacturer of water chillers, this guy has forgotten more about refrigeration and air conditioning than I will ever know, he due to the requirements of the Skill Card Scheme and the new legislation comming into effect is at present undertaking and NVQ Level two and three, he is 57 years old. OK it will be a formality for him however he feels the legislation is required and has no problem with undertaking it for the benefit of the industry as a whole and that of the NON COWBOYS out there working in the trade.
If this guy has not got a problem why should all the others, as his assessor I feel embaressed to be having to make a judgement as to his competency to carry out a job he has done for over 40 years.

Ian

thermo prince
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Guys - what's the situation w.r.t Transport techs in Uk, Europe and USA and of course A_NZ.
What certification and training do they currently need and what's planned in the future?.
Is it covered by same legislation as commercial/static HVACR ?

This question is open to all, but esp Pooh , Brian UK and the (senior) mods in UK as I value your experience on the training side.
Most of all, I would like to hear from the guys who are directly in the transport trade daily CliveMTK, Will, Abs zero and the techs in ANZ.

How is the TK CertiTech programme looked upon? Is it recognized in any way to show holder has attained certain degree of competency in handling and work standards?
Does Transicold have any similar programmes? How about GAH Hubbard, Zanotti, Eurofrigo etc? Is there any 'round table' team looking at transport certifications.

regards
T-P

Grizzly
06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
T.P. Can't speak for anywhere regarding Transport.
WE in UK. operate a 2 tier safe handling certificate surely this dosn't help?
But as Speaking for someone who could expect "Granfathers Rights". I don't want them nor need them!
Pooh. I agree with you. I would rather we all have to maintain a certain standard. I have collegues who have not got the correct peice of paper but are willing to get it.
In fact everyone on this post makes valid points.
As has many others before because we all care!
I have been speaking to those that know lately.
And my question is If we CARE. Why do other people have to make the rules.
Can we not have a say after all, we are the ones that will have to implement and decisions made.
Apparantly WE can have a say. So to the guys who care start asking HOW, WHEN AND WHERE. CAN WE MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD.
After all if WE are involved it will be self forfilling won't it.
Forget the ones that are crap and don't want to change. Allow those that do to do so! We all had to start somewhere. An Engineer is only as good as those that influence them.
Trainers thanks for your valid inputs and please can you continue.
The rest start asking the questions.
Steve.