PDA

View Full Version : how much $?

|PuNiSh3r|
22-01-2003, 06:41 PM
I was wondering if someone here could lay some insight on me about how much an HVAC tech makes .. per hour .. per year?

I want to get into HVAC.. mainly doing commercial/industrial refrigeration and air conditioning..

I am also moving to England in about 3 years... wondering if anyone knows the market over there?

I love doing refrigeration and cooling work but I also want to be able to live comfortably with out having to worry about money all the time.. I'm still young and decided on either HVAC.. since I have been doing appliance grade refrigeration work.. building my own systems and what not..

Or engineering or logistics...

Thanks!

herefishy
22-01-2003, 08:58 PM
In the realm of refrigeration service and repair:

You'll probably start out at $20K a year totin' materials.

After several years, if you learn well running commercial service, and you're progressing well, have a good understanding and work ethic, you may be around $28K

If you're still in a commercial service shop situation for around ten years or more, have plenty experience under your belt and adaptable to different applications and settings and are a really good, profitable employee you could expect $35K-$40K, then you'd be getting about to the top of the payscale (in today's dollars, in my market)

Move into the large "plants", or the big shops doing the real heavy refrigeration and process cooling, really know your stuff and most importantly be a really good dependable engineer and I would guess you could see (only guessing, mind you) $50K - $60K

Then become self-employed.

|PuNiSh3r|
23-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Hmmm.. it's hard work though to only make 30k after years and years.. soo... something tells me I'm going to get a college education and go into logistics.. I seem to have a knack for locating materials.. so I think'd do good.. it's easy money really... But I do have a creative mind/imagination so .. I would most likely be good in engineering.. I'm 17.. and I need to start nailing my career down.. and get on with it.

herefishy
23-01-2003, 03:07 PM
You do seem to be a bright young man...... get your education.

It's a little early to start thinking about what field you are going to 'major' in. That decision shouldn't come till late in your sophomore year in college. You will spend "the rest of your life" in your chosen field, so take your time, and make your decision with careful (and educated) consideration.

Just get in there and work on the basic (requisite) courses and get a feel for the educational setting and then what interests you most, for it is in that atmosphere that you will truly be exposed to what is available and what interests you. After about two years in college, you should then have some idea of what direction you wish to go.

:)

zolar1
27-01-2003, 08:05 AM
The US Census (2000) can give you more detailed information regarding salaries of different professions in a given geographical area.

I read that the average appliance repairman makes around $20/hour in many localities.

Someone once told me that the only way I would make a lot of money was to go into business for myself and stop making other people rich off my work.

Well, I went into business for myself, and have less money now than I did before, with a lot more hassles.

High risk endeavours can bring about either dismal failure or extreme success.

Maybe the timing was bad for me starting my business a short while ago.....dunno

I do enjoy being my own boss (almost - still gotta answer to the wife - he he)

zolar1
27-01-2003, 08:09 AM
What things were you designing and building?

Got any pictures or info?

angryk
28-01-2003, 12:29 AM
As far as payscales go, I think it is very dependent on where you live. I happen to live in an absurdly expensive area. Connecticut has required licensing for hvac/r techs. Actually they have licensing for all the trades. Speaking for the lower fairfield county of CT, an apprentice with trade school under his belt will start between $10 to $13hr. A liscened mechanic gets at least $20hr. From what I hear top pay is somewhere around $30hr. Every place usually has a lot of over-time as well, at time and half rates. N.Y.C. and surrounding areas as well as northern NJ are about the same. Like I said, It really depends where you live and the cost of living. The company I work for has a labor rate of $68hr. Belive it or not, straight heating and cooling companies charge as much as $85hr. The thing I really can't believe is that some plumbers get over $100hr. no lie. :eek:

FreezerGeezer
28-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Angryk, our trade is paid badly here too. Sparkies, plumbers, and even building trades earn more than we do, and yet we're probably the most widely qualified of the lot! I started on just £5.00 per hour when I came into the industry. The standard for a senior engineer seems to be around £10.00 per hour at the moment. Wish we could command £20!

zolar1
30-01-2003, 06:00 AM
The differences I see are that the other trades have strong unions whereas I haven't seen any refrigeration unions anywhere.

Here in Cincinnati, many HVAC/R companies charge between $65 and $85 per hour. Best pay I heard of around here (rumoured) was with the United Dairy Farmers (local convenient store chain) who purportedly starts out unlicensed people around $17 per hour and $22 per hour for licensed.

Plumbers get $100 to show up, and $100 per hour from the company (dunno what the plumber himself gets).

To change out a commode is $100 to show up, $100 labor, plus parts.

Local ordinances mandate you must use a Master Plumber (licensed) unless you are doing your own.

Maybe that's where the changes could start - local political jurisdictions?

Robearbam
30-01-2003, 05:54 PM
$60 to $70K is not unusual for a mechanic experienced in all phases of most trades. At least in a big city. Trick is not to limit yourself to one thing ... lots to learn ... hang with the best ... enjoy it now, the learning that is. Not to worry about how much you can make ... that comes automatically with experience and knowledge.;) wish you best of luck!

subzero*psia
11-02-2003, 04:52 AM
Zolar1, I live just north of Dayton... same scale here too. But... I LIKE IT. ;) Though I do wish I were a PLUMBER! :rolleyes:

Take Care,

Abe
12-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Looks like everyone wants to be a plumber............but seriously, these days it is not sufficient JUST being a refrigeration engineer or technician, well you can but you will remain on a basic salary........like what seems forever.........and you burn out pretty quick too

What you need, is something else..........A freind of mine is a highly competent refrigeration engineer, he is now enrolled on a Building Management and Services program.

He will in due course become a more rounded individual with a greatly enhanced skill / education backround and highly sought after.

Another freind has completed his Diploma and Masters in Health and Safety. He is now on a very high salary...........and very happy.

I speak to many engineers..........many seem disilusioned and are forever seeking new pastures, I think what they are seeking are new challenges coupled with higher pay and recognition.

The world economy has changed, we need to change too............You can either remain a poor maintenance man, or you can equip yourself by ascending to a higher plane

frank
12-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Abe - I couldn'T agree more - my sentiments exactly!

Frank

rbartlett
19-08-2003, 08:43 PM
fridge guy's and air con blokes should seriously consider getting their 'corgi' for gas fired heaters...

you can get good heating engineers and good air con guy's but getting both in the same van is worth extra to those contractors who do macdonalds gas fired heat a/c units etc

cheers

richard

rbartlett
19-08-2003, 08:43 PM
fridge guy's and air con blokes should seriously consider getting their 'corgi' for gas fired heaters...

you can get good heating engineers and good air con guy's but getting both in the same van is worth extra to those contractors who do macdonalds gas fired heat a/c units etc

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
20-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Funny you should mention that I've just completed my ACS core and cookers,fires and domestic boilers exams and have applied for my application form to be CORGI registered. Many gas fitters run a mile when faced with a combi or condensing combis because electronics have taken over from mechanical controls.

Hopefully it will keep me off the streets come Winter and give me something to do when the Automotive aircon market reaches saturation point.

DaBit
20-08-2003, 10:41 AM
I always followed my heart. I got myself a job in designing electronics, even though the pay is much less than in the 'dot com' sector, where I can manage myself too.

I never regretted my choice. I have lots of fun doing my job, and I consider that more important than a few thousand dollars a year more.

You will spend "the rest of your life" in your chosen field, so take your time, and make your decision with careful (and educated) consideration.

I cannot not disagree more. Good technical education opens about the entire tech field for you. Sure, you might need to study a bit before switching to something radically different, but it is not impossible.

Karl Hofmann
20-08-2003, 01:28 PM
You are of course right Da Bit, when your job stops being fun, go and do somthing else, there is no point in being miserable.