PDA

View Full Version : Electrical training course

marc5180
26-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi guys, i'm looking at starting an electrical course at night school very soon because its something that i and many other guys out there seem to struggle with. We have 1 sparky at our firm and he's run ragged helping people out that don't have the knowlege to sort it them selves.

I was supposed to go on a course up in doncaster for 3 days but my boss decided that it wouldn't benefit me so he decided not to send me on it so instead i don't go on any course:confused:

Iv decided after speaking to our sparky that i should enroll at night school to hopefully get the training that i want. He has suggested the City and guilds (old 2360 but now the 2330) but iv also seen the 2381 and 2377 mentioned.
Has anyone taken a course at night school and if so can they suggest one that i would benefit from. Id like to enrol straight away as its just gone past the start of the term but hopefully if i find a course i won't have missed too much by the time i get on the course.

Pooh
27-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Marc
why not do the CITB Essential Electrics course, this is aimed at fridgies who need a bit of extra electrical knowledge.

Ian

marc5180
27-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Iv already done the essential electrics course. I did it at Airedale in Leeds but it was only a two day course and it didn't go into diagram read.ings and fault finding

marc5180
28-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Iv also been told to also look into the 16th edition but from what i'v read this is just about regulations isnt it?

chris96
30-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi,

I'm going to do a control circuitry course, it's a five day course costing around £250. (Dudley, Birmingham)

Course Content

You will study:
*Reading Circuit Diagrams
*Basic Relay Principles
*Operation, Application of Timers
*Interlocking and Retention
*Starting 3 Phase Motors
*Forward and Reversing Motors
*Star-delta Circuitry
*Designing Circuits
*Fault-finding Techniques

I think this course is more suited to our trade then a sparky's course. it's a level 2 certificate.

Chris.

Pooh
30-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Chris
the course i made up of about 50% of what should be delivered in an NVQ level 2 course to apprentices. What would be usefull is a section on control logic and maybe some PLC programming, we have found that helps the students understand circuit design.

Ian

marc5180
01-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Are there any courses around that i could go on that would cover that Ian?

marc5180
01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I'm going to do a control circuitry course, it's a five day course costing around £250. (Dudley, Birmingham)

Course Content

You will study:
*Reading Circuit Diagrams
*Basic Relay Principles
*Operation, Application of Timers
*Interlocking and Retention
*Starting 3 Phase Motors
*Forward and Reversing Motors
*Star-delta Circuitry
*Designing Circuits
*Fault-finding Techniques

I think this course is more suited to our trade then a sparky's course. it's a level 2 certificate.

Chris.
Have you any info on the course, where its held, dates etc Chris?

superswill
02-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Have you any info on the course, where its held, dates etc Chris?

http://www.dudleycol.ac.uk/courses2/search/course_details.asp?txttitle=construction&txtstart=%25&txtlocation=%25&submit=Search&txtdivision=%25&txtleaflet=&ID=274

hope this helps

chris96
02-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Did you do this course paul? What did you think of it?

Chris

superswill
02-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Did you do this course paul? What did you think of it?

Chris

no,just been reading up on it on the back of your post and like the look of it,and the collge is not all that far from me so i may well see you there,how are you finding it?

chris96
03-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Just arranging the course at the moment, other guys i worked with in the past went on it over a year ago and they said it was really helpful.

Chris

Grizzly
16-11-2007, 02:13 PM
J & E Hall Training college at Gravesend do a brilliant Essential Electrics course for Fridge Engineers. They even have a Test rig where they can remotely throw trip switches. Simulating faults (on a fridge system) that you then meter out to identify the fault.
A perverse lechturer had me looking for faults for 20 mins or more before I had to concede that I could not find any!
"Presisely" was his reply "you will sometimes find the situation were there is nothing wrong with the refrigeration system. And the fault is remote from the
equipment you are maintaining".
How right he was!
I had a call out the other day where the chiller would not run. It transpired that the BMS System monitored the ambient temperature and if the temp dropped below 5c the chilled water pump switched off!
In actual fact the building heating was on full blast and they needed the chillers on to cool the building back down. Despite it being below 5c outside.
discuss?
cheers Steve
PS I know Techtrain run a similar course and I assume there are others equaly as good.